[1st-mile-nm] Bandwidth - How Much is Enough?

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 07:00:40 PDT 2008

Chris makes a great point. Just remember that you don't
really want to lay new copper, which has little headroom for
more bandwidth growth, when fiber is roughly equivalent in
first cost, even for the 2 Mbps, and lower in opex.

BUT operators can save a bundle (roughly half the cost of
setting up a customer) by cheating on the home's internal
network, and using various network geometry strategies to
cut the cost of OLTs (lighting only what you need).

Also, never ignore the power of word-of-mouth, even in a
Facebook age.

My mother (who lives independently at age 89) started
downloading Netflix over her "6 Mbps" Comcast hookup (I
upgraded her from the slower but more reliable Verizon DSL).
She actually averages 3 Mbps on Comcast over the time she's
downloading a video.

When FiOS comes to her town, in about a year, I'll go back
to Verizon there.

No one else in her complex (a pleasant warren of
state-mandated, state-subsidized low-rise housing aimed at
elderly, built by a developer 30 years ago so he could build
to a higher density nearby) thought they needed that kind of
bandwidth a year ago. Since then, my mother ("My son is an
expert on these things... he edits a magazine") has had me
set up a half-dozen neighbors the same way -- and others had
their own kids and grandkids do the trivial job (connecting
to a TV if they have a new one, or buying a bigger monitor
for their desktop or laptop).

The complex's site manager says she thinks almost everyone
now has that kind of bandwidth. I was out at the pool with
mom two night ago (yes, state-subsidized housing in
Massachusetts sometimes has a pool) and half the people
there said they were waiting for a download to finish. One
guy was watching the Red Sox game on his laptop via slingbox
(there's no hotspot -- his wifi router was in his apartment
just 20 feet away). I had set up his place -- he had none of
this stuff a year ago.

The drivers are clearly Netflix and video VoIP (usually
Skype) for "visits" with the grandkids. Telemedicine is not
far behind. My mother complains about the Skype image.
"Steven... it's television...why is the image so fuzzy?"

Can't really get the idea across that it's because the
upload speeds aren't as good as the download speeds.

BTW, Verizon uses flat-screen TV giveaways when it markets
FiOS in Massachusetts. Cheaper for them that trying to hook
up an old TV, I guess.

No market survey would have caught any of this.

Steven S. Ross
Editor-in-Chief
Broadband Properties
steve at broadbandproperties.com