[1st-mile-nm] Bandwidth - How Much is Enough?

peter pete at ideapete.com
Wed Jul 2 17:08:20 PDT 2008

Bluntly i think the whole question is disingenuous and just another how
can we charge more for XX mantra without doing diddly except change the
calculations

10 years ago we called this the French fry question

Extract here :::

/The next component that you add to make CONNECTIVITY work is TRUST. /

/Those of you who stopped at McDonalds this morning trusted that you
could get breakfast including coffee for about $4. That's how McDonalds
makes money: anticipating customers' needs and meeting them. What would
you do if one morning the same McDonalds offered you a single French fry
for $10 and when you complained they haggled the price down to $7.50? I
know this sounds silly but bear with me. You would think that they had
gone nuts! And you would be right. Trust would have broken down and you
would go elsewhere for your breakfast. /

/This is what has happened in the connectivity market. The basic
infrastructure vendors, whom you trusted to anticipate your most basic
business need (CONNECTIVITY), are now in haggle mode. They are focused
on how many French fries you want instead of looking for the right price
and quality of your breakfast. This is what US West and their partner in
crime, AT&T, are doing with connectivity. /

/One thing I hear all the time is "How much connectivity do you really
need?" I call this "the French fry question." 1 megabit (1 fry)? 10
megabit (fries)? How much are you prepared to pay? Or even worse with
DSL/ISDN, "How much of a piece of a French fry do you want?" People keep
trying to set a ceiling on an unknown need and then work backwards. If
you stick a "this is a large box of French fries" label on one French
fry, what do you have? Still one French fry! If you stick a Ferrari
label on a tortoise you do not get a faster, or more valuable, tortoise.
/

Full text here http://www.ideapete.com/leapfrog.html

DT in their Qwest US West endeavor calculated that they would need to
supply the following and this was in 2000

Extract here:

   1. /Homes want video on demand.  So, calculate the number of NM homes
      X 35 meg (that's megaBYTE, not megaBIT) per second (streaming
      video speed). /
   2. /Business will need approximately 300% more than homes. That's 100
      meg per second X the number of New Mexico businesses. /
   3. /Government and research labs and are ultra high speed users that
      require 1 gig per second. Multiply the number X 1 gig. /

/All these speeds are basic inside buildings, so why not between
buildings? Therefore the infrastructure demand map of NM is a
representation of the above calculations and where the different
categories of users are. SIMPLE! But apparently the major incumbent
telecom and consultants want excess millions of dollars to work this out.
/

I don't know of anyone who uses an electronic system for speed, what
they use are services which are mostly hampered by the lack of it and
thats piss poor engineering.

We run bandwidth monitors on all our systems and although we pay for 6
meg a second down ( really .75 megabytes ) but rarely see 60% even on
forced traffic that collapses at the weekends and after 6. . We recently
had the snake oil salesmen trying to sell us 10 meg services ( really
1.25 megabyte ) and we said fine lets see your SLA and he was
dumbfounded that anyone would want one after we explained what it as

Whats happening here is that some nice political promises are being made
to raise taxes without really doing anything but frustrate the user.

Anyone in IT knows is you supply a meg a meg will be used same with a
gig and onward up to pet and those are bytes not bits

 Service application  need always drives components and speed not vice versa

Use goes up cost goes down EXCEPT with bandwidth

( : ( : pete

Peter Baston

*IDEAS*

/www.ideapete.com/ <http://www.ideapete.com/>