[1st-mile-nm] Ground rules for more productive exchanges

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Mon Jun 23 19:35:19 PDT 2008

1st-Milers,
      	I, along with many others of you, greatly appreciate the concern and
passion that issues such as the NLR and Darkstrand deal provoke.   In my
uncomfortable role as ?hall monitor? on this list, I wish to offer a few
suggestions, however.
	This email list is the only place for online public discussion and exchange on
broadband networking issues in this state (NM).    As such, it was established
in part, to share information resources, question presumptions, accurately
address issues, and hopefully help change existing problems for the better, and
for all.   In addition to the recognizable active voices on this list, who care
deeply, have experience and may be working on these efforts long-term, there
are also some subscribers to this list, who are involved in statewide IT and
telecom. decision-making and implementation, who care about ?getting it
right?, and mostly read but do not post.   There are some other  states?
and national, knowledgable participants on the list, as well.    It is my
intent that our online exchanges can be the impetus for the productive changes
that we all want and need to have realized.
	To have a productive effect, however, requires some basic ?netiquette?
ground rules.
Factual information and references, please.
Common courtesy and a degree good neighborliness (diplomacy).
No inaccurate info., unsubstantiated insinuations or repeating of rumors.
No personal (or organizational) character assaults, or vitriolic rants.
Making enemies and promoting factionalism will defeat our purposes.
Remember, those who really don?t care, are not subscribed to this list.
Keep personal exchanges personal and off-list.
	None of these ?rules? should hamper our abilities to honestly and
effectively address the issues and situations we encounter.   Observing them
may also provoke some informed ?lurkers? to come out and to join the
conversation with productive offerings, without feeling like they may be
assaulted.
	So, in the spirit of cooperation, constructive criticism and open civic
deliberation: onward.   Thanks everyone.
RL

--
Richard Lowenberg
1st-Mile Institute