[1st-mile-nm] IP addressing upgrade

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Wed Jun 11 07:11:39 PDT 2008

having a hard time doing the math that says 85% of the IPv4 space is
already used up.  I'd say that 88% of the space is currently available
for traditional internet usage, but that its not 3% away from exhaustion.

One of the first things that needs to be done is to remove the WASTE
that is in the current allocations.  Example:

Why does the "Interop Show Network, a trade show" need 16 million IP
addresses ???

Any reason why the Department of Social Security of UK needs 16 Million
IP addresses ??

or the USPS ?? or duPont ?? or Eli Lily and Company ??
or Halliburton, or Ford Motor Company ?? or HP, or IBM ?? or Xerox

Thats 160 Million IP addresses alone.....

Why Comcast would need 100 million IP's is interesting.  I guess they
haven't heard of RFC 1918.

Most of these organizations use private RFC 1918 address for their
internal networks.

Or why does the State of New Mexico need 65,000 IP addresses ??  Most of
which are not in use.

IPv6 requires upgrades to edge (read customer equipment), much of which
is unable to handle the upgrade.  Think all those Qwest DSL modems made
by actiontec and others.  They don't support IPv6 and potentially don't
have the memory space to support the firmware updates.

Translate that into, SILLICON JUNK for the land fill.