[1st-mile-nm] Time Warner Cable tries metered Internet

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Tue Jun 3 14:02:12 PDT 2008

Hmm, so TWC sets up some pretty large PNG/JPG images on their various
websites (on net hosted) and watches the meter crank up.

Seriously, does this apply to those bytes xfered from TWC internal
servers ??

Does it apply to all protocols, or just web (port 80 / 443, the like)???

So if a THIRD-PARTY, non-TWC customer, mail-bombs a bunch of TWC
accounts with 10MB file attachments, does that count against your
quota???    If so, what right of self-action does the customer have to
force TWC to provide detailed technical information so that the customer
can recover from the third-party abuser, or at least attempt to...

The problem with quota's is that you have to define what you are
measuring and limiting.  TO broad a description and you have problems
like those above....

Whats the real issue here??  Is it that high bandwidth providers are
watching their transit get used up and thus impacting QOS for the client
base??  Is that bandwidth consumption limited to specific types of
applications ? (p2p, bit-torrent, etc)

There are practical considerations, and limits that all providers face.
 Question to the readership:

How do you propose a provider protect the overall health of their
network against those that "abuse".

Its like the person that goes to the Vegas Buffet and eats and eats and
eats.  There is a point where the provider looses money.  What do they do?