[1st-mile-nm] Verizon | FiOS Internet Packages and Prices

Gary Gomes ggomes at soundviewnet.com
Sat May 24 15:00:33 PDT 2008

I certainly understand Verizon's intent, but there are a few problems with
the Qwest "open access" model:

1) The price for the layer 2 Qwest DSL connection (i.e. without ISP) is
virtually identical to their bundled (DSL+ISP)price - meaning one can only
select an alternate ISP by paying a significant premium.

2) The price for the layer 2 DSL connectivity and the capacity of that
service is set by the monopolist - "trust me, you'll love it".

3) The 896 K limit on the uplink precludes many of the services that "beg"
for competitive service provision.

There are really only two choices, accept the high prices and service
limitations of he duopoly providers (ILEC and Cable) or implement a truly
open access FTTH network.

Gary