[1st-mile-nm] Albuquerque City Council Approves Fiber Franchise

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Tue May 6 10:15:49 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 07:51:40AM -0700, Richard Lowenberg wrote:
> Council OKs High-Speed Internet Deal
>
> http://www.abqjournal.com/cgi-bin/print_it.pl?page=/news/metro/304818metro05-06-08.htm
>
> Tuesday, May 6, 2008
> By Sean Olson
> Journal Staff Writer
>
>     The City Council approved an agreement Monday that will give all city
> buildings and schools free, ultrahigh-speed Internet access.
[...]

Sounds like a great deal for the city -- but I don't think it includes
Internet access.  I think it is only for layer 1 connectivity.  The city
will have to provide layer 2 equipment and their own Internet
connectivity.  My bet is that Mr. Olson chose his words poorly because
he doesn't understand the differences between layers 1, 2 and 3 for
networking.

The franchise agreement that I read last month only talked about use of
fiber, and that Citylink will build laterals to city/school buildings that are
within 200 ft of the fiber network.  A great boon for the city where
fiber is within the proscribed distances.