[1st-mile-nm] BPL challenges

Dale Carstensen dlc at lampinc.com
Tue Apr 8 09:50:46 PDT 2008

I haven't tried even the limited distance BPL equipment, but I would
think putting internet traffic on power lines on a widespread basis
would create the radio interference hams (radio amateurs) predict.
All those signals on unshielded wires with lots of corroded or
otherwise non-ideal connections, arbitrary topology, what a nightmare.

On the other hand, aerial distribution of fiber internet by electric
utilities seems to me to be a great wake-up call for our telephone
monopolies.  Let's get some competition into the business of
inter-city internet transit!