[1st-mile-nm] [FRIAM] Kicking the Internet up a notch

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Sun Apr 6 19:56:16 PDT 2008

Finally!  This is a good intro to what Don and I have been working on
the last couple of weeks.  The network is the computer .. wait .. Sun?

Here's step one, the cloud:
   http://www.joyent.com/accelerator
Basically we're tracing the newest "hosting" technologies, and believe
me, they are changing at light speed.

Cloud computing is a brilliant combination of hardware/server
advancement .. where small fractions of a "blade" can have its own IP
address, to software that "virtualizes" these fractions into dozens of
"sites".  And when I say "virtualize", I DEFINITELY do NOT mean VMWare
or Parallels.  I mean a fascinating combination of DNS stunts with
name-based sub-servers on every "site".  And yes, these services offer
clustered systems so you can go from a fraction of a server to
multiple servers.

Basically Torrents are going to replace streams, and Virtual Servers
are going to replace hosting services as we once knew them.  Currently
the torrent part is weakest, but we believe we'll see "torrent url's"
soon .. stunts where the torrent technology will not be limited to
file sharing, but will be a "transport" for any layer in the Internet.

To be specific, Don and I have an architecture for hosting that
includes two "computers" .. one the typical shared hosting service ..
but with GREAT programmer oriented services, an the other a dedicated
fraction of a "blade" (with root access).. which bursts up to the full
blade, or can advance to clustered.

Managing this is a "DNS Management Service" .. yet another web hosting
service that lets some of the requests for our domain go to the shared
system, and others to the shared .. i.e. a form of load balancing.
And for storage, the service has a Network Storage System (Joyent
Bingo Disks) that is completely scalable, and on a 100Mb pipe.  All
facilities interoperable.

Managing all this is a fantastic web based administration package
called Virtualmin .. virtual computing administration.  And we can
move our Virtualmin system from Joyent to Amazon (S3/EC2) in a day,
with Virtualmin's migration facilities.

Its not your father's internet any more!

See these:
   http://www.joyent.com/
   http://www.virtualmin.com/
   https://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/

So Tom, the answer to:
> Let's see now: what are the odds we in New Mexico -- hell, in the
> U.S. --
> will ever see a fraction of this in our home?
.. is very high if we in The Complex decide to work on this.  The
pieces are in place.

    -- Owen