[1st-mile-nm] New Mexico not part of USDA funding

peter pete at ideapete.com
Sat Mar 29 20:12:20 PDT 2008

Well USDA sure knows where the pueblos are -

U S D A Logo

    */USDA Rural Development is an Equal Opportunity Lender, Provider,
    and Employer. Complaints of
    discrimination should be sent to: USDA, Director, Office of Civil
    Rights, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
    /*

          **Rural Development Telecommunications Program
          Broadband Grant Program Applications**

    Pueblo of Pojoaque 	579,767 	19,596,206 	NM 	Pueblo of Pojoaque

    The first figure is the latest application and the second figure is
    what they have been granted so far

    Now what is wrong with this picture with a population of 1200 people
    getting these kinds of grants of about $17,000c each for basic service

    Well I did a " can we help you " call to PJQ a couple of years ago
    thinking for the kind of money they were getting from just 1 branch
    of the ferderal gov ( They are geting money from several more ) that
    they could plan and build a first class REAL broadband network

     > Here is what I was told.

    /" No you don't understand we re not going to build anything, we
    will just use part of the funds to build some tech centers for (
    150) students conect some basic wireless  and then use a couple of
    $m to blackmail Qwest to expand and upgrade their existing services
    and if they do not threaten them with federally supported
    competition ( Sacred wind combination )  and cut out their cellular
    transmission towers on the reservation then we just pocket the rest
    and use it for local consulting fees etc. "/

    Sad sad opportunity missed but in their eyes it was just getting
    money back that had been stollen from them in the first place so who
    gives a hoot

    Sad sad opportunity missed but in their eyes it was just getting
    money back that had been stolen from them in the first place so who
    gives a hoot

    That money could have made PJQ one of the most wired connected
    places in the state with huge economic benefit

    This is probably repeated in multiple pueblos all over the state

    ( : ( : pete

Peter Baston

*IDEAS*

/www.ideapete.com/ <http://www.ideapete.com/>