[1st-mile-nm] Santa Fe Schools' Wireless Network

peter pete at ideapete.com
Wed Mar 5 14:24:21 PST 2008

OK Richard

CLEAR Facts only ( Although we might want to link to the current Friam
group about what is a FACT ( : ( : )

The system was NEVER largely deployed ( Small test set ups were tried
just like field demos, set up take done in 10 minutes) into the district
and the release was a " this could have been " that got out of hand with
an aggressive vendor and has now cost JP his job.  The state auditor has
launched a full investigation into MIS/IT and also its construction
project cousins who have similar problems. The major issue is that
wireless is totally unneeded in the district as it has a well developed
but sadly underutilized fiber deployment courtesy of Qwest with State
funding. Although that has its own design, operational and cost problems
at least the right of way and most of the designs approval and multiple
installation albeit in many schools not yet fully built out its there
and more is being installed every month with many of its students doing
the installation. To be fair when I talked to JP on many of the projects
he saw the need to jump start connectivity with wireless to fill in
holes in his fiber network. I,  as is most unusual am a contrairian " Go
for the fiber end to end period "

I also sat on the school board CRC and also multiple building committees
and have been emphatic all the way not to repeat the first mile hurdle
and go for full WAN / LAN fiber with the maximum strands possible not
only for the schools network but also to assist neighborhoods around the
school. I still see our schools as ready built fortresses in the telcom
snail networks area of occupation that can really kick start true
broadband 100 megabytes and up in both ways.

As this investigation progresses I have offered our companies services
to REALLY design and build out a network based around total fiber for
educational excellence that the district and its neighbors can be proud
of and I will regularly post progress on this list. Potential
participants can chime in and I will connect you ( Excuse the terrible
pun I could not resist )  .

Although it looks bad up here its really a unique opportunity for
improvement

( : ( : pete

Peter Baston

*IDEAS*