[1st-mile-nm] Mea Culpa and Comment

Arthur Maccabe maccabe at unm.edu
Tue Feb 12 07:34:45 PST 2008

Looks like it's time for me to chime in -- when it comes to wide area
networking, I'm the new kid on the block.  My background is HPC
operating systems and I've done some work in networking protocols for
HPC systems, but I hadn't thought too much about wide area networking
until recently.

While I've subscribed to this list for a while, I must admit that I
tend to file the messages for future reading and rarely get to the
reading part.  A little bird suggest that I read this thread.  My
apologies if I drag everyone over well understood ground.

I'm of two minds when it come to venting on lists like this.  On the
one hand, it's hard to respond to a criticism that is unspoken, so I
appreciate it when people take the time to complain.  On the other
hand, many criticism quickly  degenerate into attacks on the
personalities involved, this is rarely productive.

My first observation is that a network is more than the physical
infrastructure used to connect the points.  Networks provide services
and are governed by policies.  Different groups may see different
benefits from the physical infrastructure, the services provided, or
the governance model.   National Lambda Rail (NLR) tends to be defined
by it's physical infrastructure -- this is natural given that the
"lambda" in NLR comes from the symbol used to denote wavelength.   One
of the unique services that NLR provides is the ability to allocate a
wavelength between two endpoints without any packetization or
framing.  This is critical for high end networking research and may be
important for applications with very high bandwidth requirements.  As
far as I can tell, the physical infrastructure for I2 (the only
significant alternative to NLR) makes it impossible to provide this
service in I2.

That said, there are few points in the NLR network who will actually
take advantage of this service.  In particular, you can only take
advantage of this service if you have full fiber access which would
rule out things like Sandoval County and the Internet to the Hogans
(ITH) project.  The fact that a site doesn't take advantage of a
service is not a reason to be on another network.  At the time
Sandoval County and ITH committed to NLR, I2 had specific policies
prohibiting commercial traffic while NLR embraced commercial traffic
-- this alone may have been an appropriate incentive for joining NLR.
I2 is in the process of changing its acceptable use policies, but this
is a very recent development.

Another important difference between I2 and NLR is that NLR owns the
physical infrastructure that provides the foundation for the network
(long term leases on fiber and the routers).  This means that NLR is
far more independent, but requires far more up front investment by its
members.  I2 relies on long term contract with infrastructure
providers, like Level 3.  I2 will tell you that the relationship with
Level 3 is a huge benefit -- in the case of I2, Level 3 actually
provides a layer 1 service, upper layers are provided and managed by
I2.  On the other hand, the fact that NLR owns its infrastructure
means that NLR can never be in conflict with one of its service
providers, this means that NLR can really do what ever it wants to do
(within the constraints imposed by federal and state regulations).

A third distinction between NLR and I2 is the size of the governing
organization.  I2 has thousands of members and New Mexico has a total
of 3 or 4 votes in the membership, with a potential of being elected
to a position of governance on one of four or five governance boards
consisting of about 25 people on each board.  NLR has about 17
members, one of which is the New Mexico Lambda Rail Board.  Clearly,
New Mexico is in a much better position to affect the direction of NLR
than we are to affect the direction of I2.

Whether the differences between NLR and I2 are important to the
individual subscribers or the state of New Mexico, remains to be
seen.   While I don't know all of the individuals involved in the New
Mexico NLR saga, I believe that most of these people were motivated by
their perceptions of the importance of the differences between NLR and
the alternative.  I continue to believe that these differences are
important.  The NSF panel that is reviewing a Track-2 proposal that I
led singled out the Intel facility in Rio Rancho and our connection to
NLR as critical parts of the proposal.  (If funded, this proposal will
bring about $31 million in NSF money to New Mexico.)

In the end, it's critical that New Mexico move forward in building
adequate communication infrastructure.  This is far more important in
New Mexico than in our neighboring states like Arizona or Utah where
population is much more centralized and they tend to ignore the rural
parts of the state.  I like to think  of our challenge as the need to
push (network) services to the edge.  As we go through this process,
there will be false starts.  We can spend our time complaining about
the problems that we have run into, or we can try to learn from
failures and move on -- there's clearly a lot more to do.