[1st-mile-nm] Good letter to the journal by TJ

peter pete at ideapete.com
Sun Feb 3 17:13:48 PST 2008

/Sunday, February 3, 2008

Letters to the Editor Albuquerque Journal , Santa Fe / North

/ / State Still Lacks In Connectivity
    Re: the Journal's Jan. 28 story, "New Mexico's New Supercomputer
Unveiled":
    This is, indeed, a positive step for the state, and we are grateful
to the team and legislators who took the initiative to make this public
investment for New Mexico.
    That said, simply having the supercomputer is only half a loaf.
    New Mexico woefully lacks a fully articulated and financed policy to
bring digital connectivity to every New Mexican. Until a rancher in Jal,
a boutique-food farmer in Dixon or a weaver on Navajo lands is on the
same digital highway as Los Alamos National Laboratory, we will continue
to fall behind nations such as Korea in terms of innovation, creativity
and economic growth.
    That connectivity should permit the up-and-down exchange of digital
data at 1 gigabyte per second over open-access fiber optics, not the
phony definition of "broadband" as set by the FCC or commercial interests.
    We should seek The Three 100s: 100 percent of the people have access
to it; 100 percent have the digital data, tools and communications they
need; and 100 percent of the time.
    Tom Johnson
    Santa Fe/

Tom the only thing I will add to your three 100s is one more 100
megabytes up and down. Several years ago I asked Bill Richardson where
is the states blueprint for bandwidth and connectivity for the next 5 /
20 years and how the lack of one would cripple our economy and he
referred me to one of his team who immediately wanted to know how we
would get broadband connectivity directly to homeless people and he
stuck there, go figure and when I mentioned libraries / schools he
called me elitist. No short term or long term plan, nada and I bet its
not improved to date. Guess they all have pensions, bonuses and payola
from Qwest and Comcast.

( : ( : pete
--

Peter Baston