[1st-mile-nm] Call it what is

peter pete at ideapete.com
Tue Jan 15 12:33:50 PST 2008

One of the major hurdles, that will have to be overcome, to achieve REAL
first mile connectivity, and hence long term high speed broadband goals
is to for once and forever align storage calculations with transmission
calculations.

We store digital data in megabytes and gigabytes and now terrabytes and
soon petabytes but when this same data is transfered to anything the
speed is measured in bits or 1/ 10 of the storage calculations, which
are now transmitted measured in megabits = 1/10 megabyte / gigabit etc.

This enables the larger telcos to constantly  baffle washington claiming
that current and future targets are just fine thank you, whats all the
fuss about because they are purposely clouding the issue with stupid math

The IT industry is the only one in the world that measures is storage
capacity in one calculation and then measures the movement of the same
by dividing the factor by 10.

This is like saying my car gets 250 galobits to the mile or I walked 150
milobits today or my car cruises at 800 milobits per hour and is utterly
insane

As a result we have idiotic companies claiming Broadband service
supplying Kilobyte ( Calling them megabit ) sluggish connections and
charging people for through the wazzo.

Having just completed a presentation to senior government officials who
staunchly defended the point that a megabyte is the same as a megabit (
ably assisted by Qwest / ATT consultants ) I am constantly stunned at
the amount of government officials and beuro planners regulating this
industry and hence a huge amount of the public at large who flat out do
not understand this. Hence the long term policy based on these decisions
is totally doomed to fail.

Don't believe me, call up any two senior government bureaucrats you know
and check it out.

We will never make the world understand what a phenomenal problem we
have in connectivity unless this issue is once and for all tackled.

One common measurement for the storage and transmission of data period "
the BYTE "

( : ( : pete

--

Peter Baston