[1st-mile-nm] 1st-Mile-NM: Year One Update

Richard Lowenberg rl at radlab.com
Sat Dec 8 19:37:46 PST 2007

Year end greetings.

The 1st-Mile email list and web site were initiated approximately one year
ago.   These efforts grew out of my personal concerns, interests and
motivation, spurred on by a number of you now subscribed to this list.
Thanks to all of you who have subscribed, especially those of you who have
also posted to the list.    I hope it has been informative and of small
help in our shared dedication to understanding, participating in and
improving our broadband future here in New Mexico.

There are about 60 of us now subscribed to this list, mostly New Mexico
based, with a few participants from elsewhere around the country.   Most
postings to date, have been re-posted articles, reports, briefs and
comments about New Mexico broadband matters, or items of relevance
locally, nationally or globally.

Some of us are directly involved in broadband networking efforts.
However, much of what we are personally doing has not been reported on
this list.   Some of it is sensitive, contracted or job related.   Some is
premature, yet uncertain, or proprietary.   Yet, greater shared exchange,
where possible, may help to make 1st-Mile online exchanges more actively
and effectively move broadband initiatives forward for this state, and for
its communities.

A few of you know that in addition to managing the 1st-Mile web site and
email list, I recently began a process to create the 1st-Mile Institute, a
nonprofit 'think and do tank', to carry out some long term work associated
with networked society development in New Mexico and beyond, through
contracted research, consulting, conferences and publishing.

The Institute will, in part, focus on substantiating demand-side economic
and investment models for 'open' broadband initiatives.   I've been
working (behind the scenes) with a few of you, to also advocate for the
development of an Integrated Strategic Broadband Plan for New Mexico,
while promoting economic understandings and benefits for regional and
municipal 'open access' broadband projects.  A New Mexico broadband
conference and regional workshops are also being proposed.

Almost all cities and towns are now looking for higher bandwidth, lower
cost infrastructure and services to meet growing needs for business
attraction, jobs creation and economic development; K-12 schools, higher
education and life-long learning; film and media production, provision of
healthcare, libraries, civic, government and emergency services;
entertainment and much more.

While our national and state broadband future seems constrained by a
number of factors, it is becoming evermore clear to communities, that with
proper planning and investment, they can now take responsibility for local
broadband needs, while paying for deployments and generating substantial
income and social benefits at the same time.   This latter understanding
is the prime motivation for 1st-Mile initiatives.

I'd very much like to hear your thoughts, suggestions, constructive
criticisms and other offerings, on how to take more effective next steps
here in New Mexico.   The many complex issues and opportunities
include:
-	the evolving role of ISPs and CLECs;
-	the State's high speed computing and education initiatives;
-	the near future of LambdaRail deployment and partnerships;
-	potential for an Integrated Strategic Broadband Plan for NM;
-	municipal needs and initiatives;
-	state legislative actions and financing;
-	public-private partnership possibilities;
-	formation of the 1st-Mile Institute;
-	ways to work together more effectively on New Mexico's
	broadband future.

The 1st-Mile Institute is currently a sponsored project of Ars Publica, a
501(c)3 nonprofit .org.   If you are interested in learning more about the
Institute, or want to help, please be in touch.   If you'd like to make a
donation, or know someone or some company that may, please contact me.

Useful links:
-  1st-Mile web site:   www.1st-mile.com
-  1st-Mile Institute:	www.1st-mile.com/Institute/view
-  1st-Mile email list archives:  www2.dcn.org/pipermail/1st-mile-nm

Here's to a very good new year for all of you, and to a productive second
year for 1st-Mile initiatives in New Mexico.

Richard

Richard Lowenberg
P.O.Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504
505-989-9110,  505-603-5200 cell