[1st-mile-nm] New Hampshire Gov. Supports Broadband for Economic Development

Richard Lowenberg rl at radlab.com
Sun Nov 25 19:45:25 PST 2007

The Governor of New Hampshire has provided funding for a statewide
strategic broadband plan, to support broadband for economic development.
Though I think it is too biased toward wireless solutions, the basic
concept and support is what this 1st-Mile initiative is advocating for NM.
rl
-----

www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071119/GJNEWS02/711190036/-1/CITIZEN

North Country broadband gets a push

By BOB MARTIN
Staff Writer
Article Date: Monday, November 19, 2007

Gov. John Lynch and the Executive Council recently approved a contract to
assist the state Division of Economic Development in its efforts to
bolster the expansion of affordable, advanced broadband technology
throughout the state.

"This contract is one more step in our efforts to expand broadband access
throughout New Hampshire, particularly to underserved areas in northern
and western New Hampshire," Lynch said. "To attract new jobs to New
Hampshire, we must make sure we have a 21st century infrastructure,
broadband access is a key component of that infrastructure. As governor, I
am committed to ensuring companies have the business-friendly environment
they need to grow their business and create jobs."

The governor and council approved a contract with Berry, Dunn, McNeil &
Parker of Portland, Maine, to assist the Division of Economic Development
in creating a strategic broadband plan.

State Sen. Deb Reynolds explained that the contract approval makes it
possible to come up with a strategic plan for what she calls one of the
more important issues many parts of the state are facing. Reynolds has
been instrumental in the process and, since becoming senator last year,
has expressed the importance of making broadband and telecommunication
readily available throughout the state.

> snip

Richard Lowenberg
P.O.Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504