[1st-mile-nm] Statistics: Why We Don’t Know Enough About Broadband in the U.S?; Measuring Broadband

Tom Johnson tom at jtjohnson.com
Thu Nov 22 09:50:46 PST 2007

>From ResourceShelf at http://tinyurl.com/3cvz4y

Statistics: Why We Don't Know Enough About Broadband in the U.S?; Measuring
Broadband<http://www.resourceshelf.com/2007/11/16/statistics-why-we-dont-know-enough-about-broadband-in-the-us-measuring-broadband/>

November 16, 2007 at 12:11 am · Filed under Source
File<http://www.resourceshelf.com/category/source-file/>,
Business and Economics<http://www.resourceshelf.com/category/source-file/resources/business-and-economics/>,
Technology and Internet<http://www.resourceshelf.com/category/search-news/technology-news/>,
Statistics<http://www.resourceshelf.com/category/source-file/resources/statistics/>

+ Why We Don't Know Enough About Broadband in the
U.S?<http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/276/report_display.asp>
by John Horrigan

Half of all Americans now have broadband at home, according to the Pew
Internet Project's September 2007 survey, marking the first time that as
many as 50% of respondents say they have high-speed internet connections at
home. This milestone in broadband adoption occurs at a time of close
scrutiny of the data gathered by government agencies on broadband
deployment. This article puts the rate of home broadband adoption in
historical context before discussing in detail the issues surrounding
broadband data collection and current legislation that seeks to make
improvements.

+ Measuring Broadband<http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/227/report_display.asp>
by Kenneth Flamm, Amy Friedlander, John Horrigan, William Lehr

Imperfect or absent data are rarely mentioned in policy discussions. Yet the
communications policy debate in the United States today is inseparable from
debates about the data used to make claims about policy propositions.
Policymakers are beginning to see the need for better data, and this report
contains recommendations on the principles that should guide efforts to
improve data collection on the deployment and use of communications
infrastructure. The report is based on a workshop convened last year by the
Pew Internet & American Life Project, the University of Texas at Austin, and
the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Source: Pew Internet & American Life Project

See Also: OECD Broadband Portal Launched with Plenty of
Stats<http://www.resourceshelf.com/2007/11/05/oecd-broadband-portal-launched-with-plenty-of-stats/>

--tj
--
J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism -- Santa Fe, NM USA
http://www.jtjohnson.com                 tom at jtjohnson.com

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the
existing model obsolete."
                                                  -- Buckminster Fuller