[1st-mile-nm] Fwd: 10.31.07

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 14:22:18 PDT 2007

It is unclear exactly what the FCC will do on exclusive
contracts. The line among FCC staff members is that the
agency considers telcos good, MSOs (franchise cable
operators) bad, and PCOs (private cable operators) innocent
children.

The column is an exceptionally idiotic one, gratuitously
noting that PCOs have no incentive to clean up their acts,
and that they cost more. There's NO FCC data to support the
idea PCO fee schedules are high -- the FCC did study MSOs
that had no competition versus those that did -- including
competition from DBS and PCOs -- and of course found that
competition lowers prices. PCOs also tend to offer better,
localized and ethnically tuned channel lineups.

PCOs also have plenty of incentive. PCOs can, of course, be
kicked off the property for not maintaining proper service
-- SLAs are normally included in PCO contracts -- and the
contracts themselves are usually for 8 or 10 years.
Landlords hate to lose a tenant because of poor cable service.

what's more, property owners cannot ban individual satellite
dishes unless they are unsafe -- that's federal law. So they
have incentive to provide good alternatives.

I live in Massachusetts, which has long banned exclusive
contracts. As a member of my condo board, I'd love to get a
PCO into the building -- Comcast, the MSO, provides rotten
service. With no chance for at least short-term exclusivity,
there's no way a PCO would come in. Verizon gets here in
about 18 months, so we'll have to wait. Our building is not
safe for DBS dishes, thank goodness.

In greenfields, much of the fiber is being laid in by
"amenity providers" (sorta CLECs rather than the PCO
corporate form, but not always) who need guarantees in the
form of an agreement with the HOA or MDU building owner to
attract capital. FCC does not want to cut that off. "Amenity
providers" may not be subject to FCC overview (no case law yet).

One thing is clear (and the column got it right): THE FCC
has murky authority in this area, guaranteeing a long court
process and a long delay -- but not long enough to keep
investment flowing to overbuilding CLECs and PCOs. Hence,
the ruling will probably weaken competition.

Steven S. Ross
Editor-in-Chief
Broadband Properties
steve at broadbandproperties.com