[1st-mile-nm] Resources for the 1st Mile project

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 18:35:57 PDT 2007

bear in mind that equipment costs have come down enormously in the
past year -- in many cases, by a factor of 10. It still isn't cheap,
and OLTs (the thingies with lasers at the POP end) haven't come down
as fast as everything else. But business cases are reasonable.
Strictly speaking, where ever fiber goes, you can establish your own
POP if you have rights t o some of the bandwidth. Obviously cheaper to
do that at a switch, though. Most states allow cities to tax these
things -- facilities and property tax -- so the records are asy to
get. Or should be.

Steve Ross