[1st-mile-nm] Corning release

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 14:16:40 PDT 2007

Corning Announces Breakthrough Optical Fiber Technology

Performs over 100 times better than standard single-mode fiber
Working closely with Verizon on FTTH installation challenges

CORNING, N.Y. –– Corning Incorporated (NYSE:GLW) today
announced the development of a new optical fiber-based
technology that solves an historic technical challenge for
telecommunications carriers installing fiber-to-the-home
(FTTH) networks.

Corning’s breakthrough is based on a nanoStructures™ optical
fiber design that allows the cabled fiber to be bent around
very tight corners with virtually no signal loss.  These
improved attributes will enable telecommunications carriers
to economically offer true high-speed Internet, voice and
HDTV services to virtually all commercial and residential
(apartment and condominium) buildings.  Current optical
fiber installations lose signal strength and effectiveness
when bent around corners and routed through a building,
making it difficult and expensive to run fiber all the way
to customers’ homes.

“This is a game-changing technology for telecommunications
applications,” said Peter F. Volanakis, president and chief
operating officer at Corning.  “We have developed an optical
fiber cable that is as rugged as copper cable but with all
of the bandwidth benefits of fiber.  By making fundamental
changes in the way light travels in the fiber, we were able
to create a new optical fiber that is over 100 times more
bendable than standard fibers.”  Corning’s newest fiber
technology achieves this while maintaining compatibility
with industry performance standards, existing manufacturing
processes and installation procedures.  “So, customers don’t
have to sacrifice one benefit to get another,” he said.

“There are more than 680 million apartment homes worldwide,
including more than 25 million in the United States.  The
high cost of installation and difficulty in delivering fiber
to the home made this market unappealing to most providers.
  We have been working closely with these carriers to create
a solution that will make this more economically viable for
them and for their customers,” he said.

One of the early proponents of this emerging technology was
Verizon Communications Inc.  In February of this year,
Corning and Verizon commissioned a joint working team to
solve the problems of multiple dwelling unit installation
using this new fiber solution.  “Continued innovation in
advanced telecommunications networks is critical to the
long-term success of Verizon and our ability to provide our
FiOS service on a mass scale in the United States,” said
Paul Lacouture, executive vice president of Engineering and
Technology, Verizon Telecom Group.  “We are working closely
with Corning to solve the challenges of providing fiber
solutions to high-rise apartment complexes across the United
States.  This fiber technology will enable us to bring
faster Internet speeds, higher-quality high-definition
content, and more interactive capabilities than any other
platform which exists today.”

Corning first introduced low-loss optical fiber in the early
1970s.  Optical fibers are waveguides that transmit light
within the fiber’s central region, or core.  However, with
standard single-mode fiber, tight bends cause leakage of the
light, resulting in signal loss or optical power
degradation.  A bend or curve that is too tight will result
in total signal loss.  With Corning’s new nanoStructures
design, the optical fiber maintains its signal strength when
bent or curved, with performance results 100 times better
than standard single-mode fibers.  The new fiber also
enables simpler and more aesthetically pleasing designs for
the cable, hardware and equipment used in the deployment.

Corning will introduce a full suite of optical fiber, cable
and hardware and equipment solutions based on its
nanoStructures technology platform this fall at the
Fiber-to-the-Home Conference in Orlando, Fla., Sept. 30 –
Oct. 4.
About Corning Incorporated
Corning Incorporated (www.corning.com) is the world leader
in specialty glass and ceramics.  Drawing on more than 150
years of materials science and process engineering
knowledge, Corning creates and makes keystone components
that enable high-technology systems for consumer
electronics, mobile emissions control, telecommunications
and life sciences.  Our products include glass substrates
for LCD televisions, computer monitors and laptops; ceramic
substrates and filters for mobile emission control systems;
optical fiber, cable, hardware & equipment for
telecommunications networks; optical biosensors for drug
discovery; and other advanced optics and specialty glass
solutions for a number of industries including
semiconductor, aerospace, defense, astronomy and metrology.
(more)

Forward-Looking and Cautionary Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that
involve a variety of business risks and other uncertainties
that could cause actual results to differ materially.  These
risks and uncertainties include the possibility of changes
in global economic and political conditions; currency
fluctuations; product demand and industry capacity;
competition; manufacturing efficiencies; cost reductions;
availability of critical components and materials; new
product  commercialization; changes in the mix of sales
between premium and non-premium products;  new plant
start-up costs; possible disruption in commercial activities
due to terrorist activity, armed conflict, political
instability or major health concerns; adequacy of insurance;
equity company activities; acquisition and divestiture
activities; the level of excess or obsolete inventory; the
rate of technology change; the ability to enforce patents;
product and components performance issues; stock price
fluctuations; and adverse litigation or regulatory
developments.  Additional risk factors are identified in
Corning’s filings with the Securities and Exchange
Commission.  Forward-looking statements speak only as of the
day that they are made, and Corning undertakes no obligation
to update them in light of new information or future events.

Steven S. Ross
Editor-in-Chief
Broadband Properties
steve at broadbandproperties.com