[1st-mile-nm] Fwd: Circuits: Are U.S. Cellphone Carriers Calcified?

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 17:47:00 PDT 2007

Cellular service overseas is vastly better than in the US,
although usually at a higher price -- I travel with an
unlocked GSM phone and use local SIMs regularly.

BUT there are some neat things happening. T-Mobile, for
instance, just introduced a combo wifi and GSM phone. For
the $10 extra per month (on top of whatever plan you have),
you get a new wifi router for your home. Your phone also
latches on to any other wifi hotspot that does not require a
web registration, and latches onto hotspots that are
exclusively t-Mobile (like starbucks, but not like hotels
and airports) even if they Do require web registration.

unlimited calling on the wifi. If you begin a call on wifi
and wander out of the hotspot area and back onto cellular,
if the call isn't dropped you get the remainder free as
well. free calling from overseas t-mobile and open hotspots.

Nice in our NYC apartment, where cell strength is lousy but
the wifi router becomes a local hotspot.

Right now, the two phones they offer on the plan aren't as
good as my 18-month-old razr, but I suspect new models will
quickly become available.

Steven S. Ross
Editor-in-Chief
Broadband Properties