[1st-mile-nm] Fwd: The New Internet Revolution: How We Can Win

Tom Johnson tom at jtjohnson.com
Tue May 29 15:01:55 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tim Karr, FreePress.net <list at freepress.net>
Date: May 29, 2007 10:00 AM
Subject: The New Internet Revolution: How We Can Win
To: tom at jtjohnson.com

 [image: SavetheInternet.com banner] <http://www.savetheinternet.com/>

Dear Media Reformer,
 [image: Save the Internet: Click
here]<http://action.freepress.net/ct/lpMOYv91Na7S/>

*Tell the FCC:
Save Our Public Airwaves* <http://action.freepress.net/ct/ldMOYv91Na7a/>

The FCC is on the verge of turning over a large chunk of the public airwaves
to the same giant phone and cable companies that control high-speed Internet
access for more than 96 percent of connected American homes.

This public "spectrum" could revolutionize the Internet in America. Its
wireless signal passes through concrete buildings and over mountains; it can
connect tens of million of Americans who are being passed over by Internet
providers like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast.

Don't let the FCC give away our wireless Internet to these price-gouging
giants. *The FCC deadline is fast approaching. Act now:*

*Tell the FCC: Use Our Airwaves for the Public
Good<http://action.freepress.net/ct/ldMOYv91Na7a/>
*

Broadcast television channels will soon vacate these airwaves when they go
digital by 2009. If used right, these public airways will revolutionize the
ways we connect to laptops, cell phones, PDAs, music players and other
mobile Internet devices. They can deliver an open Internet into your house
without the need for a telephone wire or cable modem.

Phone and cable lobbyists are pressuring the FCC to sell companies like
AT&T, Verizon and Comcast our airwaves so they can horde spectrum and stifle
competitive and cheaper alternatives to their established networks.

This would be a disaster. After years of phone and cable company control
over Internet access, the United States has fallen to 16th in the world in
high-speed Internet rankings, with few choices and some of the highest
prices for the slowest speeds in the world. We will continue this decline as
long as we let AT&T, Verizon and Comcast dictate the terms of Internet
access for the majority of Americans.

These phone and cable giants refuse to open their networks to competitive
applications and services. They lobby Washington to stifle new innovations
like Internet phone service and to destroy Net Neutrality, the one principle
that protects equal opportunity and free choice on the Web.

We need to end their stranglehold and demand a better Internet for everyone:

*Tell the FCC: Keep the New Internet Open to
All<http://action.freepress.net/ct/ldMOYv91Na7a/>
*

With open networks, the rest of the world has rapidly adopted high-speed,
Internet platforms for education, economic innovation, creativity and civic
participation. Countries like South Korea, Japan, France and Canada have
leapfrogged the United States and now offer faster Internet connections at
far lower prices.

It's time we caught up.

Act now and help clear the path for a technology that will deliver faster,
more open and affordable Internet for everyone.

Thank you,

Timothy Karr
Campaign Director
Free Press
www.freepress.net <http://action.freepress.net/ct/o1MOYv91MQmV/>

1. Most people haven't heard about this issue yet. It's really important
that we spread the word and get people involved. After you send your comment
to the FCC, tell at least five
friends<http://action.freepress.net/ct/l7MOYv91Na7z/>to take action.

2. For more information about what's at stake with our public airwaves, read
these recent articles in *Wired
Magazine<http://action.freepress.net/ct/0dMOYv91Na7_/>
*, the *Los Angeles Times*
<http://action.freepress.net/ct/odMOYv91MQmC/>, *Forbes
Magazine* <http://action.freepress.net/ct/01MOYv91Na7L/> and
MyDD<http://action.freepress.net/ct/l1MOYv91Na7q/>.

3. To learn more about the public interest and the public airwaves, visit
the "Save Our Spectrum" site,
www.freepress.net/spectrum/<http://action.freepress.net/ct/opMOYv91Na71/>

------------------------------

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this event
 Tell-a-friend! <http://action.freepress.net/ct/l7MOYv91Na7z/>

If you received this message from a friend, you can click
here<http://action.freepress.net/freepress/join.html?r=S1MOYv91kYJnE&>to
become a Free Press activist.

management page<http://action.freepress.net/freepress/smp.tcl?nkey=i7ww7gsryt8ekex&>to
modify your email communication preferences or update your personal
profile. To stop receiving E-Activist Network, click to
unsubscribe<http://action.freepress.net/freepress/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=subscription&nkey=i7ww7gsryt8ekex&>.
To stop ALL email from Free Press, click to
remove<http://action.freepress.net/freepress/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=center&nkey=i7ww7gsryt8ekex&>yourself
from our lists (or reply via email with "remove or unsubscribe" in
the subject line).*

--
J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism -- Santa Fe, NM USA
http://www.jtjohnson.com                 tom at jtjohnson.us

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the
existing model obsolete."
                                                   -- Buckminster Fuller