[1st-mile-nm] Broadband to go free in 2 yrs in all of India toeveryone

Carroll Cagle carroll at cagleandassociates.com
Mon Apr 30 08:39:48 PDT 2007

I had been thinking about responding to Dewayne's post about the India
broadband experimentation, but am glad that Andrew went first.  I understand
Dewayne's interest, I believe, and think that many people in the U.S. are so
unhappy with the present model that almost anything seems better.

My observation covers less ground that Andrew Cohill's thoughtful analysis.
My thought, when I first read the India report, was that, "nothing is free."
If the government provides supposedly "free" bandwidth, someone ultimately
is paying -- i.e., taxpayers.

Having said that, it could be that a thoughtful case could be made that
infrastructure should be a public venue, paid for by taxpayers -- probably
not through sales or income taxes but via issuance of general obligation
bonds.  The UTOPIA model in Utah uses a variation on this theme, using
instead of G.O. bonds,  "revenue bonds" issued by the cities and backed by
them but with the bonds being retired over a period of time by a percentage
of the service fees.

A legitimate concern with any public broadband venture is that government
might not be a knowledgeable-enough, and service-oriented-enough, operator,
in which case a public-private partnership is another variation to consider
(public -- i.e., government -- ownership with operator being
technology-savvy private company,  under contract).

Carroll Cagle