[1st-mile-nm] OEDC Report

Andrew Cohill cohill at designnine.com
Mon Apr 30 07:34:59 PDT 2007

On Apr 29, 2007, at 2:11 PM, Richard Lowenberg wrote:

> Though the U.S. is woefully behind in 'real broadband' deployment and
> services, it is worth looking at the entire global snapshot that the
> report provides.    A networked society is by its nature,
> simultaneously
> local and global.

the "local and global" phenomenon is interesting.  I was in a small
rural town last week that has lost most of its manufacturing jobs.
We were talking to them about a fiber project that would make the
town more attractive to knowledge economy companies.  But as we
walked around the small downtown, the city official pointed out two
local businesses that were doing very well.

One was one of these "teddy bear" businesses that makes custom teddy
bears and sells them online and by phone, and ships all over the
country.  The second was even more interesting.  It was a businessman
who has containers of very expensive antique furniture shipped by the
container load from Germany (and only from Germany), and then sells
the furniture online to mostly U.S. customers.

Both businesses provide employment for several people, and are in no
way the kind of business that would be on the radar of traditional
economic development strategies.  But those were the businesses
providing employment--local employment and working globally.

Andrew

Andrew Michael Cohill, Ph.D.
President
Design Nine, Inc.

Design Nine provides visionary broadband architecture and engineering
services, telecommunications and broadband master planning, and
broadband project management.

Visit the Technology Futures blog for frequently updated news and
commentary on technology issues.
  http://www.designnine.com/news/

http://www.designnine.com/
Blacksburg, Virginia